To do today:
- a bit of toilet cleaning…yuck…but CHECK!
- finally wash all the swim clothes and towels since it’s been a while and they smell and we have a pool date this after…CHECK!
- chicken in the crock-pot for our first home cooked meal this week, boy am I slacking…CHECK!
- Change internet home page to Yahoo! for a few days to help raise up to $10,000 for Girls For A Change…CHECK!!!!!!!
About this Campaign:
Yahoo! will donate $10 to Girls For A Change (GFC) for each person who clicks here to make Yahoo! her homepage by July 1…up to an amazing $10,000! We’re counting on you to help us find 1,000 people willing to make a change worth $10,000 to this fantastic cause.
About Girls For A Change:
Clever Girls Collective selected GFC as the non-profit for this generous Yahoo! campaign because it matches our mission of empowering women to help each other. Clever Founder Sheila Bernus Dowd was a GFC volunteer and member of the advisory board, so we have first-hand experience with their commitment to helping girls become community leaders. Here’s how they describe themselves:
“Girls For A Change (GFC) is a national organization that empowers girls to create social change. We invite young women to design, lead, fund and implement social change projects that tackle issues girls face in their own neighborhoods. GFC empowers girls for personal and social transformation. The program inspires girls to have the voice, ability and problem solving capacity to speak up, be decision makers, create visionary change and realize their full potential.”
Why Should You Make Yahoo! Your Homepage? It offers…
1. Personalized content: The Yahoo! homepage delivers you the most relevant content based on your interests, time of day, and what’s most popular with other users like you.
2. Your World and The World: The Yahoo! homepage uniquely brings together your world (your email, local news) with the world around you (current events, entertainment news, financial updates and more)
3. Human Interest: Articles on the homepage have a human approach – more than just news, it delivers human interest stories that you just have to click on.
Empowering young girls earlier on in this day and age is a MUST! With bullying on the rise, and not only in-person bullying but Facebook and email bullying as well; giving young ladies a strong core of self-confidence makes for smart leaders among girls giving them the strength and courage to manage the tough teen years with ease! Programs like Girls For A Change and for us locally that I 100% support, Girls on the Run, definitely give this mother of a soon-to-be-baby girl a bit more confidence on my end that the “drama years” to come may not be as bad as everyone makes them out to be!
And having a 10 year old niece, watching from a distance as she enters into the age of tougher school work, friendships that come and go, boys, cyber bullying, self-esteem issues, and that’s only on Mondays…I truly understand how my sister, her mother, can’t seem to shake that everyday headache! Parents too need help to get through the adolescent years and thanks to Girls For A Change, mom can get involved too! About 5-10 girls and two women “coaches” make up a Girl Action Team. Teams design and implement a social change project that will make a lasting change in their neighborhood, city or school. More than 100 Girl Action Teams meet across the US and internationally each year.
As back-to-school approaches faster than I thought it would, it’s time for you as a parent, if you have a young lady on your hands, to look into programs like this one! Or at least support the GFC organization simply by changing your home page for a bit, just til July 1st!